Use this scenario to help young people to gain the basic knowledge on social entrepreneurship.
When to use it:
Size of the group: 10 to 20 people
Age of the group: over 14 years old
Preparation: 30 minutes
Presentation: 60 minutes
1. Split the participants in groups of five people, and present them the following problem from the community:
2. First, ask the groups to make a list with possible solutions they might find to help the homeless people. After 15 minutes, each group presents their solutions they found to help the 200 homeless people.
3. Most of the times, the people will think to services and goods they can provide for free for the homeless people, as a charity does. Now, challenge the groups to develop a business idea through which they could help the homeless people.
4. After 15 minutes, ask the group to present their business ideas and discuss these ideas, debriefing the presentations by explaining the following model adapted from Changing the world: a young’s person guide to social entrepreneurship, by UnLtd for Social Entrepreneurs:
|Mission||Helping a community, group of people, advocate for a specific cause||Tackling social problems, improving communities, people’s life chances, or the environment. Selling goods and services in the open market, but reinvesting the profit back into the community.
Focused on: helping customers, or employees from disadvantaged groups.
|Making money (profit) for the owner/shareholders.|
|Money||Using traditional fundraising methods from individual donors, companies or funding public or private bodies.||Profit made from sale of services / products.||Profit made from sale of services or products.|
5. Present the following example of social enterprise developed to help homeless people from Detroit – The Empowerment Plan (http://www.empowermentplan.org/):
We believe in giving second chances to those who want it, and providing warmth to those who need it.”
For step 1. you can use a different community problem, for which participants should think about solutions.
Changing the world: a young’s person guide to social entrepreneurship, by UnLtd for Social Entrepreneurs
14 TED talks on how the power of social entrepreneurship is helping solve the world’s biggest problems
Use this scenario to help young people learn about and practice different leadership styles.
Use this scenario to help young people to increase their self-awareness and understand their life priorities.
Use this scenario to help young people to gain the basic knowledge on personal budgeting and financial education.